Owning a home is a large source of pride and security. As such, keeping it looking attractive without sacrificing functionality is a key responsibility of being a homeowner. This responsibility can take the form of numerous home improvement projects, but one of the most important projects is window installation. This is largely due to windows degrading in both appearance and performance over time. If left unchecked, your poorly performing windows can lead to increased energy bills, an uncomfortable indoor climate, and less security, among other concerns.
While it’s important to put replacement windows in as soon as necessary, that doesn’t mean one should rush the process and just grab the first window products they can find on sale. Window installation requires the appropriate windows for your needs and means. It also requires skilled hands of professional window contractors for a professional and guaranteed installation—like the ones we provide at Legacy Remodeling.
Remaining unaware of these and other concerns is a guaranteed way to experience costly window mistakes that could have been easily avoided. In this article, we’re going over some of the most common mistakes homeowners make when replacing their windows to help you make the most out of your next renovation.
Avoiding Window Pitfalls
There are a number of ways to avoid costly mistakes when considering your replacement windows. For starters, it’s much easier to do when you work with a reputable and stellar window installation company that can walk you through the entire process. However, before you start calling companies everywhere, consider these mistakes to avoid:
- Bargain Hunting: This project is going to cost to do it right. As such, one of the worst mistakes you can do is purchase replacement windows strictly on the basis of a low price. Not every window is the best fit for your home. Not every window offers the quality or features to make the purchase worth it. It’s much more important to shop based on value instead of the ticket price.
- Paying Too Much: If going too cheap is a way to miss out on quality, then surely the more you spend the better the windows are right? Not necessarily. Some expensive windows are that only because of the extra design elements they come with. Plus, they are usually packaged with benefits and “extras” that don’t help you and only add to the amount on your receipt. Shop around to determine if the price matches up to what’s actually being offered.
- Improper Installation: This is where a trained window contractor is key. No window, no matter how fancy or well built is worth the frame they sit in if installed improperly. Windows rely on proper sealing and pinpoint placement to work properly. When considering your installation experts, make sure they are manufacturer trained on the windows you select. You’ll have a better chance of proper installation, and you’ll have options when it comes to your warranty.
- Lack of Due Diligence: This is the second half of finding a good window contractor. Maybe they actually know how to install windows. However, do they know how to run their business? Are they knowledgeable or evasive? These questions and more should be answered before making your choice.
Communicating with Your Installation Team
Great communication and diligent research are necessary for finding the right company to work with. In addition, to adhering to the above tips, make sure to ask the following questions when evaluating remodeling companies for your window installation:
- Are they insured?
- Do they have references?
- What are their response times?
- What’s the wait time?
- Do they offer financing plans?
- How is their financing plan structured?
- What’s their online profile like?
- Do they have good reviews?
- Are they good at paperwork i.e. do they document everything?
- What’s in the contract?
Window Installation with Legacy Remodeling
The signs of needing replacement windows are many—and include drafts passing through windows, panes rattling, and those pesky energy bills rising. Our team at Legacy Remodeling firmly believes in never settling for less than the best when it comes to the protection and comfort needed from your windows. That’s why we focus on offering replacement windows that are highly functional, durable, and stylish. Increased home value and experience is a window installation away when you work with our team of window contractors.
Ready to explore your replacement window options? Then give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional window installation services or fill out our online form to schedule your free quote.
Subscribe to Legacy Remodeling's Blog