Although many people may not realize it, this is one of the best times of the year to move forward with those remodeling plans that many homeowners have been putting off because of the cold weather.
By acting early in the season, homeowners can hope to realize a variety of benefits in improving their home. Rather than take the time to write lengthy descriptions of each of these I have listed what I consider to be the top 5 reason below. Incidentally this is the same theme as what I wrote about in "Remodeling and the Holiday Season" on December 2, so if you want to read more about this, check out that entry.
1. Remodelers are hungry right now. This is one of the best times to negotiate a good deal on a project as even many of the best companies out there could use some additional work right now. Let the remodeler know that you would be willing to accept installation immediately and you will be able to negotiate your best price.
2. The weather really does not impact installation of many products. I have heard many homeowners express concern about undertaking a major remodeling project during bad weather. However in most cases these concerns can be handled with some forethought on the part of the installer. The use of drop cloths, booties, etc. will mitigate any mess. Additionally, any good remodeling company recognizes that clean up is as important as any other part of the job and will be sure to clean up at the end of a project.
3. Since the spring is the busy time of the year for remodelers, purchasing then can mean long waits as other customers fill the schedule ahead of you. By purchasing in the January, you will be able to get your project done quickly.
4. Again, since the spring is the busiest time of the year for remodelers, this is often a time when manufacturer's will look to increase their prices. Beat this price increase by getting your project under contract now. In many cases, if your project is under contract but has not yet been installed, a good contractor will be able to get their supplier to honor the old pricing.
5. Because the winter is a slower time for remodelers, individual projects will command more attention from the company involved. Further, those who are involved in the project for you will tend to be more of the "A" quality people from their company. Many remodelers will add staff as they become busier, sometimes resulting in a slip in quality. By purchasing your project now, you will have the benefit of an installer that the company see's fit to keep busy year round.
As you pull into your driveway on these cold winter days and you see the projects you have planned for this spring. Ask yourself if this is a project that could be installed now, if so, proceed to find the right contractor and you will get a top notch job at a great price.
Subscribe to Legacy Remodeling's Blog