Get EducatedNever go into a roofing project blind. You want to do as much research as you can about the process before you ever pick up the phone to contact a Pittsburgh roofing company. Learn the steps in the process and the time each step should take.
Work with your roofing team early on to help you determine the scope of your project, as well. Just what shape is your roof in? Will they need to replace decking as well as shingles? How far will your budget take you? A reputable company will help you determine the best plan of action to make sure you get the most from your investment.
Metal Roofing is the Best Investment in Today’s MarketWhen it comes to roofing materials, you have a lot of choices. The market has changed over the years and there have been advancements to the materials available. Relatively newer to the mainstream market, metal shingles are a better investment over traditional roofing materials for many reasons:
- Proven performance expectation of 50-plus years
- A variety of styles to match any home
- Interlocking panels for maximum wind resistance
- Higher energy efficiencies to keep homes cooler/warmer
- Heat and Sun—Although Pittsburgh isn’t typically associated with one the warmer areas to live in, the summers here can get scorching hot. Most roofing systems fail because they dry out and become brittle as they age. Metal systems, on the other hand, are highly resistant to this kind of damage. Metal systems also won’t lose their color in direct sunlight as quickly as traditional materials. In the long run, you’ll get more usage and a longer lasting material to withstand the hot summers.
- Snow and Ice—Snow and ice are some of the worst conditions for a roof. Over time, these harsh conditions will cause materials to degrade along with their sealants. Winters in Pittsburgh are traditionally pretty rough, especially over the past several years. Metal roofing quickly sheds snow loads, which prevents ice damming and other harmful conditions that can destroy your roof.
- Hail—Metal roofing is an overall more durable product. Because of this, it’s highly respected for its hail resistance and are the highest rate roofing materials to stand up against hail.
- Lightning—Contrary to what you might believe, metal roofs don’t attract lightning. When a traditional roof is hit by lightning, blunt damage occurs. Metal roofs, however, conduct that electricity and spread it out with minimal to no damage to the roof.
Know Your Metal Roofing TypesAs you’re evaluating your next Pittsburgh roofing project, here are the types of metal roofing materials you can utilize.
- Country Manor Shake—This style of metal roof offers all of the visual appear of real wood shakes without the problems associated with them.
- Oxford Shingle—A low-profile style of shingle that offers a clean and modern look. Because it’s aluminum, it sheds water quickly, which reduces the risks of leaks and damages caused by severe weather.
- Slate Rock Oxford—The appearance of slate—color and texture—without the traditional downfalls of slate roofing material.
- Rustic Shingle—Another wood-emulating material, again, without the traditional problems associated with wood.
- Clicklock Premium Standing Seam—A dust-free aluminum material that offers a contemporary look.
Layering or Stripping – They Are Not Equal SolutionsOne way to cut back on installation costs when doing a roofing project is to layer on top of the old shingles. However, a roof can only have two layers; a third layer is too heavy. Be sure to go into the project knowing how many current layers your roof has so you can get an accurate quote right away. Shingles adhere better directly to the roof than to another layer, so you may be better off stripping your old roof first anyway, especially if you live in an area with high winds.
Be PreparedOne thing you will figure out in your research and planning is that roofing projects can take a long time to finish. They can also be delayed because of weather, and in Pittsburgh, that’s a hard variable to predict. Most roofing repairs or replacements will require a lot of space to store materials and tools. Make sure you have this set up ahead of time so it’s organized and you aren’t doing any last-minute scrambling. Roofing projects can also get very loud so make sure that you’ve thought about how that might affect your family’s schedule and adjust accordingly.
A new roof is a significant investment in the value of your home. If you are ready to connect with experts in Pittsburgh roofing who will keep you informed throughout the process and who will make the most of your budget dollars, contact the team at Legacy Remodeling today.